Chinese Steamed Cake
- 5 eggs, in room temperature
- 1 cup icing sugar (adjust sweetness according to your preference)
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 + 1/2 cup cake flour, shifted twice (reduce quantity for softer texture)
- 1 tbsp of baking powder or 6 tbsp 7-up soda
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (or melted butter)
- Using electric mixture at High speed, beat eggs till frothy (not stiff!) about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add icing sugar gradually, vanilla extract and cream of tartar and beat till the mixture become very thick (about 2 minutes). The mixture should looks pale white. When lifting up the beater, the batter won’t drip immediately. Meanwhile, heat up the steamer at high heat.
- Reduce to lowest speed (stir) and add cake flour and baking powder in 3 parts.
- Add oil and gently stir together.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 8” round pan or bamboo steamer pan lined with baking paper, steam at high heat for about 30 minutes (make sure there is enough water in the steamer, avoid opening the lid to add water). Remove cake from pan and cool on wire rack immediately.