Jja Jang Myung
Korean Black Bean Noodle (Jja Jang Myung)
INGREDIENTS (see slideshow)
- 1 packet Jajangmyeon noodle (available in Korean market)
- 1 lb pork belly (cut into thin strips)
- 1 cup diced onion
- *1 cup diced zucchini
- *1 cup diced cabbage
- *1 cup diced peeled potato
- 1 cup black bean paste
- warm water (enough to cover the ingredients)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (to bring out the savory taste)
- 3 tbsp sugar (to balance the saltiness of black bean paste)
- 5 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 1/2 cup water (to thicken the mixture)
* denotes using different vegetables to your liking. You can use one vegetable or more vegetables. Sometimes, I would only use potatoes for quick meal. You can even omit vegetables, but pork belly and onion are very essential in this dish.
- Noodles: Cook noodles according to package instruction, usually about 5 minutes in boiling water. Drain and put individual size in each serving bowl.
- Heat non stick pan under medium high heat. Add belly pork and stir fry till cooked.
- Add black bean paste and saute till fragrant for 2 minutes. This step is essential to bring out the taste of black bean paste.
- Add diced onions and potatoes. Stir fry to combine.
- Add sugar and soy sauce. Add remaining vegetables. Stir fry till well combined.
- Add water enough to cover the ingredients. You can add 1 more cup of water if you prefer additional sauce.
- Bring to boil over high heat. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, till all vegetables are cooked. Taste the sauce, and adjust accordingly.
- Combine cornstarch with water in a small bowl. Slowly drizzle into the mixture (and stirring) until the sauce is thickened.
- Lower the heat to low, and keep simmering for another minute.
- Pour the sauce over the noodle and serve hot.
- I have garnished the noodle with thinly sliced cucumber, as shown in the picture.