If you have visited Singapore, you should have tried this most-popular dish called Hainanese Chicken rice. Check out the explanation of this dish origin from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hainanese_chicken_rice.
Singapore Chicken Rice (Hainanese Chicken Rice)
INGREDIENTS1 whole chicken Chicken rice ingredients
- 1 bunch pandan leaves, cleaned and tied in knots (available in Asian market)
- 3 cloves of unpeeled garlic
- 1 slice ginger
- 2 tbsp chopped shallots (about 4 cloves)
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups chicken stock (to make 3 cups rice)
- Note: Amount of water is different for every rice cooker. Please follow your rice cooker’s manufacturer instruction.
Additional garnishes: Thinly sliced cucumbers, chopped green onions and fried shallots.METHOD
- Use a pot that is large enough to contain one whole chicken.
- Bring water to the boil in a pot.
- While water is boiling, clean the chicken thoroughly.
- Lower the fire to the lowest fire. The water should not be boiling. Place the chicken in the water, making sure that it is fully submerged.
- Leave the chicken for 45 minutes, depending on the size of chicken.
- Fill the sink with water. Add lots of ICE.
- After 45 minutes, gently remove chicken (be careful! It is hot!) and put it in cold water. Leave it submerged in cold water for 30 minutes or till the chicken is cooled.
- Cooking chicken rice: Fry chopped shallots and garlic. Add rinsed rice and stir well. Add chicken stocks, seasoning, garlic and knotted pandan leaves.
- Transfer the rice mixture to rice cooker. Cook till rice is done.
- Chop cooked chicken into bite pieces.
- In a bowl, mix 2 tbsp chicken stock, 2 tbsp oyster sauce, 2 tbsp light soy sauce, 3 tsp sesame seed oil, 1 tbsp sugar. Drizzle this sauce over the chopped chicken.
- Serve with dark soy sauce and chilli sauce. Enjoy!
- 4 red chillies (seeds removed)
- 4 cloves peeled garlics
- 1knob ginger (skin removed)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 lime (juice)
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- Blend all ingredients except seasoning. Mixture must be fine and watery. Add seasoning and stir well. Keep in refrigerator, and can be kept up to 4 weeks.