- 5 eggs, in room temperature
- 1 cup icing sugar (adjust sweetness according to your preference)
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 + 1/2 cup cake flour, shifted twice (reduce quantity for softer texture)
- 1 tbsp of baking powder or 6 tbsp 7-up soda
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (or melted butter)
- Using electric mixture at High speed, beat eggs till frothy (not stiff!) about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add icing sugar gradually, vanilla extract and cream of tartar and beat till the mixture become very thick (about 2 minutes). The mixture should looks pale white. When lifting up the beater, the batter won’t drip immediately. Meanwhile, heat up the steamer at high heat.
- Reduce to lowest speed (stir) and add cake flour and baking powder in 3 parts.
- Add oil and gently stir together.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 8” round pan or bamboo steamer pan lined with baking paper, steam at high heat for about 30 minutes (make sure there is enough water in the steamer, avoid opening the lid to add water). Remove cake from pan and cool on wire rack immediately.
Recipe adapted from Sandra Lee BakeSale Cookbook
1 package of Pepperidge Farm Chessman cookies
10 pieces of Graham crackers
3 tbsp butter, melted
2 packages cream cheese, Philadelphia
1 package instant white chocolate pudding and pie filling mix, Jell-O
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup sour cream
1 1/4 cups white baking chips, Ghirardelli
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup orange juice
(1) Preheat oven to 350F. Using 8 or 9 inch springform pan, arrange Chessman Cookies, facing outwards, around side of pan.
(2) Place 2 cups Graham crackers in a blender, and blend till fine. Transfer to a medium bowl, and sir together with melted butter until mixture comes together. Press into bottom of springform pan and bake for 5 minutes in oven.
(3) Remove from oven, and set aside to cool. Place aluminum foil to wrap around the bottom exterior of pan.
(4) In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, pudding mix, and sugar until smooth. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add sour cream, and beat until combined. Pour into prepared cookie crust.
(5) Place springform pan in a large tray; fill tray with hot water to reach 1 inch up the side of the springform pan.
(6) Bake for 60 minutes or until set in center. Turn off the oven 7heat, leave the cake inside oven with oven door ajar for 10 minutes.
(7) Remove springform pan and cool on a wire rack.
(8) For ganache, heat heavy cream and orange juice until about boiling. Pour cream mixture over white chocolate chips, stirring well with spoon until smooth with no lumps. Let stand at room temperature, and pour over the cooled cake, but not over the side of cake.
(9) Garnish with your favorite topping, like sprinkle with candy or chocolate.
Do not throw away overripe bananas! Turn these bananas into delicious banana bread for your family.
3 or 4 overripe bananas, depending on size of banana (the skin of banana turns black)
1 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 and 1/2 sticks of butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp banana essence (optional)
2 cup flour, shifted
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted lightly
few pecans, halved for decoration
(1) Preheat over to 350 F. Spray baking pan with oil.
(2) Mash bananas with fork. Add sugar, and whisk with hand or electric blender till the mixture is well combined, about 3 minutes.
(3) Add melted butter, vanilla essence, banana essence and eggs. Whisk gently for another 3 minutes. Do not overblend.
(4) Add shifted flour, baking soda, and salt. Using a spatula, mix well in the mixture.
(5) Fold in walnuts and stir to combine.
(6) Pour gently into baking pan, and tap gently on counter to remove air.
(7) Decorate the top with pecan halves, and put in oven for baking.
(8) Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Turn the baking pan every 25 minutes for even browning.
(9) Using a wooden skewer, insert in the middle of bread to check whether the bread is done. If the wooden skewer comes out clean, the bread is done.
(10) Before serving, slice the bread and toast till crispy. Serve with your favorite butter or bread spread.
Note: Don’t get nervous if the banana bread cracks in the middle. It is typical 😉