Oreo and Cranberries Bread Pudding
Craving for warm dessert? Make this quick dessert with leftover bread, milk and cheese!
- 3 slices of white bread, cut into 1 inches squares.
- 45g cream cheese
- 1 handful of shredded cheese (Mozzarella) or 1 piece of cheese slice
- 200ml milk
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 20g butter
- 4 pieces of Oreo cookies, broken into pieces (you can add your favorite cookies)
- some cranberries
- Icing sugar/Powdered sugar for dusting
(1) Arrange cut breads into baking dish of your choice.
(2) Add cream cheese, cheese, milk and sugar in a saucepan, and cook over low heat till melted. Remove from heat, and whisk in butter and beaten egg. Lightly whisk well.
(3) Pour milk mixture over the breads, and soak for 10 minutes.
(4) Sprinkle oreo biscuits pieces and cranberries on top of bread mixture.
(5) Bake in preheated oven (350F) for 25 minutes or golden brown. Remove and serve hot.
This recipe is different from my previous recipe of egg tart, in the aspect of the crust. My daughter prefers this cookie-like crust.
Chinese Egg Tarts - Cookie Crust texture
INGREDIENTS (make 24 tarts)
24 tart shells, greased
PREPARATION of crust:
- 2 stick of butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup of icing sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cup plain flour
- 6 tbsp cake flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
Ingredients of custard:
- Using hand beater, beat butter and sugar together till creamy.
- Add egg and vanilla, and beat till combined.
- Shift in the flour and salt mixture slowly, while beating the mixture.
- Knead lightly into a dough.
- Place the dough in a bowl, and set aside in the refrigerator while preparing the custard.
- 2 heaped tsps custard powder (bird’s eye brand)
- 1 tbsp water
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp condensed milk
- 455ml water
- Preheat oven to 350F. Stir custard powder with 1 tbsp of water in a mixing bowl. Add beaten egg and vanilla. Beat till well combined. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, stir together sugar, water, and condensed milk and heat over medium heat. Turn off the heat once the sugar is dissolved and the liquid mixture is heated (not boiling).
- SLOWLY pour the hot liquid mixture into the beaten egg mixture while whisking the egg mixture. Continue whisking till all hot liquid mixture is used up.
- Remove the crust mixture from refrigerator. Place dough on a floured counter surface. Roll into 0.1 inch thick. Use a round cutter to cut round shapes slightly smaller than tart shells. Press lightly on the bottom and the sides to get impression from fluted tins. Prick the bottom of shells with sharp sticks.
- Place prepared tart shells on a baking tray. Pour egg mixture into the prepared tart shells just before baking.
- Bake for 30 minutes, rotating baking tray after 15 minutes. The custard should puff up a little and pastry should turn golden brown. If not, bake for another 5 minutes
- Remove from oven to cool, and place egg tarts on muffin cups. Serve warm.