Potstickers (Pan Fried Dumplings)
- 1 lb ground pork or beef
- 1 cup chopped green onion (white and green parts) or Chinese Chives
- 1 cup chopped napa cabbage
- 2 tbsp minced ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or water
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine
- 1 tbsp sesame seed oil
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
oil for pan frying
- To make the filling, combine the pork or beef, green onions or Chinese Chives, and ginger in a bowl. Using a fork, lightly mix the ingredients till combined.
- In a bowl, mix the remaining ingredients. Pour these seasoning over the meat mixture, and stir to combine.
- Cover the meat mixture and set aside for at least 1 hour. Or you can prepare the filling 1 day ahead, and the filling is to be refrigerated. Bring it to room temperature before wrapping the dumpling.
- Line few plates or a tray with plastic wrap and lightly dust with flour to avoid sticking.
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 tbsp of cornstarch and 4 tbsp of water. Stir well to foam a watery paste. Place the bowl of paste on the table next to you. This paste is acting as a “glue” for wrapping the dumplings.
- If you are right-handed, hold the wrapper in the left hand. For each dumpling, scoop about 1 tbsp of filling positioning slightly off center towards to upper half of the wrapper.
- Use your index finger to dip into the watery paste, and spread it around the outer circumference of the wrapper.
- Make the first pinch between index finger and thumb.
- Fold over the front edge to form the first pleat and press it against the first pinch and the back edge.
- Pass the second pleat to the right hand, and press the second pleat to the back edge and the first pleat.
- Finish by pressing the edges together to seal well.
- Repeat with the remaining wrappers till the filling is used up. Cover the finished dumplings with dry kitchen tower or paper towel.
- To pan fry the dumplings, heat about 2 tbsp of oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- Neatly arrange the dumplings touching each other.
- Fry the dumplings for 2 minutes or till they are golden brown on the bottom under medium high heat.
- Holding the cover lid of the frying pan, quickly pour water (about 1/4 cup of water) and cover with the lid immediately. Note that the water will immediately splutter, so be careful.
- Cover the pan tightly, and let the dumplings fry for 4 – 6 minutes (you will hear sizzling sound).
- When the sizzling noise stop, you can remove the lid and transfer the dumplings to a serving plate with bottoms facing up.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce. My favorite dipping sauce: Mix 1 tbsp of black vinegar with 1 tbsp of soya sauce in a saucer. Place some finely sliced ginger in the sauce.
- Gently dip the dumplings in the sauce, and eat it with few slices of gingers. Yum!