Recommended type of Fish
– Milkfish (虱目魚)– Swordfish （旗魚） Avoid fish that are high in fat content and/or flaky meat texture. 6 important tips in making fish paste: (1) Add starch that bind the fish meat. (2) Add the right type of starch flour, such as Tapioca flour. (3) Add ground pork, not only to make smooth paste but also to bind the paste together. (4) Secret ingredient! Crushed ice. (5) Slap the fish paste dough in a metal bowl till the paste become springy. (6) Use simmering water to cook the fish balls (not hard boiling water). INGREDIENTS
- Minced fish meat (about 300 gm)
- 30g minced pork
- 50g sweet potato starch powder
- 1/2 cup crushed ice (adjust accordingly) *Do not add too much ice, as it will affect the taste and texture of fish paste*
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- Put all ingredients in a food processor. Blend until the mixture is smooth.
- Form the fish balls by scooping the fish paste with mini ice cream scoop or by hand. If using hand, scoop out some fish paste in one hand and squeezing it between your index finger and thumb. With a spoon in the other hand, scoop the mixture into a ball then drop it into a bowl of salted water. Leave the fish balls in the salted water for 1 hour. Drain and discard the water.
- Boil water or stock in a saucepan, lower heat to a simmer, and add the fish balls. Cook the fish balls till it floats. Store the cooked fish balls in an airtight container, and store them in fridge or freezer.