Jja Jang Myung
Korean Black Bean Noodle (Jja Jang Myung)
INGREDIENTS (see slideshow)
- 1 packet Jajangmyeon noodle (available in Korean market)
- 1 lb pork belly (cut into thin strips)
- 1 cup diced onion
- *1 cup diced zucchini
- *1 cup diced cabbage
- *1 cup diced peeled potato
- 1 cup black bean paste
- warm water (enough to cover the ingredients)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (to bring out the savory taste)
- 3 tbsp sugar (to balance the saltiness of black bean paste)
- 5 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 1/2 cup water (to thicken the mixture)
* denotes using different vegetables to your liking. You can use one vegetable or more vegetables. Sometimes, I would only use potatoes for quick meal. You can even omit vegetables, but pork belly and onion are very essential in this dish.
- Noodles: Cook noodles according to package instruction, usually about 5 minutes in boiling water. Drain and put individual size in each serving bowl.
- Heat non stick pan under medium high heat. Add belly pork and stir fry till cooked.
- Add black bean paste and saute till fragrant for 2 minutes. This step is essential to bring out the taste of black bean paste.
- Add diced onions and potatoes. Stir fry to combine.
- Add sugar and soy sauce. Add remaining vegetables. Stir fry till well combined.
- Add water enough to cover the ingredients. You can add 1 more cup of water if you prefer additional sauce.
- Bring to boil over high heat. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, till all vegetables are cooked. Taste the sauce, and adjust accordingly.
- Combine cornstarch with water in a small bowl. Slowly drizzle into the mixture (and stirring) until the sauce is thickened.
- Lower the heat to low, and keep simmering for another minute.
- Pour the sauce over the noodle and serve hot.
- I have garnished the noodle with thinly sliced cucumber, as shown in the picture.
fresh jajangmyeon noodle (or any noodles you like)
1 red pepper, julienned
1/2 white onion, julienned
1/2 carrot, julienned
few leaves of napa cabbage, julienned
3 jalapeno (or red chillies), julienned
few mushrooms, sliced thinly
1/2 squid, cleaned and julienned
few shrimps, shells removed and deveined
2 green onion, cut into 2 inches long
1/2 cup of pork loin, julienned (optional)
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp minced ginger
2 tbsp red pepper powder (adjust to own taste)
6 cups of stock
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp sesame seed oil
(1) Add cooking oil in wok, and heat till hot.
(2) Add minced ginger and stir fry till fragrant.
(3) Add minced garlic and mushrooms. Stir fry for another minute.
(4) Add pork loin and stir fry till cooked. Add red pepper powder and mix well.
(5) Add all vegetables and stir fry till vegetables are softened.
(6) Add stock and seafood and cook for about 1 minute.
(7) Add all seasoning and taste to own preference.
(8) While the soup is boiling, cook noodles according to package instruction.
(9) Drain noodle, and place in serving bowls.
(10) Pour the hot soup over the cooked noodles, and serve HOT!
INGREDIENTS 材料 (Serves up to 6)
1 packet of Jap Chae noodles (available in Korean market)
2 lbs Spinach (washed till water run clears)
1 carrot (julienne)
1 handful dried fungus (soaked and cut into strips)
1/4 onion (cut into thin slices)
1/2 red pepper (julienne)
5 shitake mushrooms (cut into thin slices)
(1) Soak the noodle in water for 4 hours or overnight.
(2) Bring a pot of water to a boil, and add the soaked noodle. Boil for 5mins, and stirring once.
(3) Drain the noodle, and place under cold running water. The noodle must be clear and cold.
(4) Drain the noodle, and add 1 tbsp sesame oil. Stir the noodle with chopstick. Place aside.
(1) Carrots: Heat oil in pan. Add carrots and stir fry for a minute. Add red pepper. Season with 1 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp salt and sesame oil. Stir well and remove from heat. Set aside.
(2) Spinach: Bring a pot of water to boil. Add washed spinach and 1 tsp salt. Boil for a minute. Drain the spinach and squeeze dry. Cut the spinach with scissor into 3 inches long. Season with little salt, 1 tsp sesame oil and sesame seed. Set aside.
(3) Heat oil in pan. Heat and add 1 tbsp chopped garlic. Add sliced mushrooms. Stir fry and season with little salt and 1 tsp soy sauce. Stir well for a minute. Add fungus. Stir fry for another 2 minutes. Remove and set aside.
(4) Heat oil in pan. Add sliced onion and 1 tsp salt. Stir fry till onions soften. Remove from heat and set aside.
(1) In a big salad bowl, combine all prepared ingredients and mix well with chopsticks. Splash with 1 tsp of fish sauce and sprinkle with little Sesame oil and white sesame seed.
For parties, you can make this dish few hours ahead. Cover and keep in room temperature.