Simple Chinese snacks, Deep fried prawn fritters.
20 prawns, jumbo size
1 cup frying mix (Korean frying mix, available in Korean stores)
3/4 cup cold water
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp cooking wine
1/2 tsp cornflour
(1) Peel and devein prawns.
(2) Add seasoning to prawns, and leave aside for 30 minutes.
(3) Mix the frying mix powder with water, and mix into a smooth batter.
(4) Dip the prawns in the batter to coat evenly.
(5) Heat the frying oil over high heat, and deep fry until golden.
(6) Drain on absorbent paper, and serve hot with wasabi mayo dipping sauce.
(7) Dipping sauce: Wasabi Mayo – Stir 1 tsp of wasabi paste into 5 tbsp mayonnaise.
Posted in Appetizer, Appetizer, Appetizers, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Seafood, Seafood, Seafood, Singapore / Malaysia, Small dishes, Starters & Snacks, Thailand, Vietnam
- Tagged 脆皮油炸虾, Prawn Fritters
Nonya specialty noodle, sweet and sour vermicelli.
1 pack rice vermicelli, soaked for 1 hour and drain
2 beancurds, cut into pieces and deep fried till crispy (or store-bought fried beancurd)
1/2 lb bean sprouts
1/2 lb chye sim, sliced (optional)
1 cup prawns
1 cup chopped Chinese chives
2 hard boiled eggs, sliced
1 tbsp store-bought sambal chilli sauce
3 tbsp ground bean paste
3 tbsp tamarind pulp, mixed with 400 ml water and squeezed out juice
3 calamansi limes or limes, squeezed juice
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tbsp salt
(1) Heat 1 tbsp oil in wok. Add broad bean paste and sambal sauce. Stir fry until fragrant.
(2) Add prawns, chye sim and beansprouts. Stir fry until prawns are almost cooked.
(3) Add rice vermicelli and seasoning sauce. Stir fry until well mixed.
(4) Add Chinese chives and stir fry till combined.
(5) Cover the lid, and turn off the heat. Leave it for 5 minutes. Add lime juice.
(6) Transfer to serving plate. Garnish with bean curds and eggs.
INGREDIENTS 材料 (serves 4)
1 lb prawns (deveined and shells removed)
1/2 red pepper, cut into 2 inches
1 tbsp minced
1 tbsp minced ginger
1 tbsp minced shallots
1 tbsp hot bean paste (辣豆瓣酱)
4 tbsp tomato sauce (ketchup)
3 tbsp water
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp Shaoxing wine (绍兴酒)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sesame oil
Thickening sauce: 1 tbsp cornflour and 3 tbsp water (mixed well)
(1) Deep fry prawns in hot oil. Drain and set aside. For healthier version, skip this step.
(2) Heat 1 tbsp oil in wok. Add minced garlic, shallots and ginger. Stir fry till fragrant.
(3) Lower heat. Add hot bean paste and stir fry. Add red pepper.
(4) Add prawns and stir fry with medium high heat. Add seasoning sauce.
(5) Stir fry till prawns are cooked.
(6) Stir in thickening sauce and mix well. Remove from heat.
(7) Serve hot and enjoy!