KL style Pork Rib Soup (Bak Kut Teh)
INGREDIENTS (Serves 4)
- 2 lbs Pork ribs, cut into pieces
- 5 Dried mushroom (soaked and slice thinly) OR 1 can of button mushrooms
- 5 cups Water
- 2 Whole Garlics (Unskineed)
- 1 Bak Kut Teh Herbal pack
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp hoisin sauce or oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp Salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp Crystal sugar (to taste)
- white pepper powder (to taste)
- cilantro (to garnish)
Side dish: Tau Pok (bean puff), add them after step 5. Boil them for 3mins. Take them out and put in a bowl separately.
Side dish: Dough Fritters (油条). Buy frozen packet from any Asian market. Bake them according to packet instruction. Cut them into small pieces. Dip them in bowl of herbal soup for 10 seconds, and enjoy them!
For side dishes, you can also add in your favorite mushroom like Enoki Mushrooms, or your favorite vegetables. This soup is that versatile!
Sauce for meat dipping, mix 2 tsp dark soy sauce and slices of red chillies.
- Blanch pork ribs in hot water. Take out and rinse with water.
- Boil water. Add herbal pack and boil for 15 mins.
- Add mushrooms and garlics. Boil for another 10mins.
- Add pork ribs. Boil for another 1 hr (use medium heat).
- Season with light and dark soy sauce, hoisin sauce, salt and sugar(crystal). Boil for another 10 mins.
- Serve hot and enjoy with side dishes such as Tau Pok (recipe as below) and dough fritters.